Wednesday, July 25, 2007

 

Fitting the engine cowls...cont.....

Fiberglass dust isn't much fun but the cowl is coming together in more senses than one.

The plans don't make it clear but when you come to add the lower cowl you have very little freedom at the rear because the upper corners have to snuggle up under the cowl cheeks. Their position was determined by the upper cowl. I had to trim about 1 1/8th at the rear and 5/8th at the front.
The result of this is the cowl sits slightly low, wrt the bottom of the fuselage. Having said that, there appears very little room to get the exhausts in. I think the slight discontinuity will disappear once the gear leg fairings are added.

Fitting the .063 plates behind the spinner was a great help in stabilising the position of things. i should have done it sooner.

As you can see I sanded slightly too much away just above the gear leg.

It is probably obvious to everyone but me, but I was pleased when I thought up this way of trimming the edge of the cowl. By shimming the back and front so the trim point is at a common height it was quite easy to draw a level line between the too. I placed the cowl on an old sheet of glass to ensure a flat surface.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?