Monday, July 02, 2007

 

Canopy taxi and safety latch

I did not like the safety catch that VANS has added to the kit. As others have commented, it in no way protects me from a mistake, and only serves to provide a third attachment point of the canopy to the fuselage.
I have made up this little catch which, while a bit ''lumpy", will serve me rather better, I think. It provides a taxi position for the canopy, as well as an additional independent point of attachment of the canopy to the fuse.


Here it is mounted with clecos in its working position, beside my left shoulder. It is well out of the way. You will soon work out that in fact it is an up market door bolt.
The #8 screw is limited in its fore and aft travel by a filed slot within which it can move. I will lock it in place with Loctite. I have made up a little nylon button on the front end, but I don't like it. I must find a yellow plastic button similar to the one VANS supply with the kit.

I plan to put a micro switch on the front main canopy latch to tell me if the pin is not in place. I might put a second switch to ensure this is locked also.

There is enough friction in the system to stop the latch sliding into its locked position when I am outside the aircraft. The way the slot is designed, gravity is also working against it.

This is the view from the PAX seat with the canopy partly open. The bolt slides into one of two holes in the central canopy bulkhead. The upper hole coincides with the canopy in its locked position. The lower position stops the canopy from completely closing. Its only cracked about 1/2" but in the UK that should provide enough extra air for taxiing.





The canopy is held open by a gas strut. This is the one in the 'Spruce catalogue. It is slightly fat for the gap between the role bar and the canopy bulkhead so I will swap it for a smaller dia. one with about 2/3rds the force and more damping. (Then it will not touch the role bar and I will be able to remove the red tape.)

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?