Sunday, May 20, 2007

 

Setting up to glue the canopy

The canopy has been trimmed with 1/8th inch spacers installed, to allow for Sikaflex in the joints. Compared with the -9A I built, there is very little excess material on the RV4 canopy. It would not be a problem if I planned to rivet it on, but since it is to be glued, I had to be very cautious in the area to the left/right of the pilots shoulders.
A final test fit on top of the fuselage seemed appropriate. In fact I have still not trimmed quite enough off at the rear of the canopy, but that is intentional. I intend to do that when the structure is glued together, in order (hopefully) to get a very tight fit between the plexi and the fuse skin.








I have made a 'gallows' to hang it on while I work. All the other RV canopies allow you to walk in at the end for gluing, but the -4, being one piece requires you to have it held quite high if you want to work on it the right way up. At this stage I am unfamiliar with the properties of the Sikaflex so in case it sags feel I will have much better control with it this way up.

NB AS you can see in this picture its a gallows with a heater! Got to keep the victim warm!





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?