Wednesday, October 11, 2006

 

Wheel Spat.

My unorthodox approach to getting the spat aligned is working well. For me the difficult bit was deciding where the centre points on the spat were. Aligning them with the yellow strings you can just see them in this picture, was easy, once I had that. I know they are pointing in the correct direction, unless gravity is having an off day. Statistically unlikely. I also know the engine frame is aligned to within 0.1 deg with a digital level.

The other big advantage is that I have a much better view from underneath, to see the tyre spat junction, for working out tyre clearance. [I need to make a nice job of that so the RV6,7 and 9 drivers see a nice job as I shoot by overhead! :-) ]



This is where the day ended. The spat is on. The next job is to drill the holes between the front half of the spat and the U-810. Once these are done it will be all locked in place pretty well with clecos. Then I will cut out more clearance for the tire.

I will probably then turn to the left wheel, since I cant do much more to this one before I mix up some glass resin to build reinforcing pads inside the spats.

The shape and texture of these things makes them appear to be alive at times. They can be quite hard to hang on to. Foam rubber on the floor to cushion them each time you drop them is useful. The other learning point is don't waste your time trying to write / mark directly onto them. Stick masking tape on and write on that.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?